Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Heart Hipsters

So I’m headed to Williamsburg, Brooklyn Thursday night for a concert. For those of you who live in NYC, you know what this means. For those of you who don’t, I will sum it up in one word for you: hipsters.

No, this isn’t going to be a screed against hipsters. In fact, I can’t understand why people hate them so much. They are so fun to observe, especially in their natural habitats. Also, I feel I have a lot in common with hipsters. They drink beer; I drink beer. We listen to a lot of the same music. Sometimes I think the only reason I’m not a hipster it just seems like too much work, too much keeping up of appearances. Also, I think it’s cool to like things.

But I guess the main reason I like hipsters is I love it when a certain group consistently lives up to its stereotype. (Which is probably the reason I love Jersey Shore so much.) The last time I went to a concert in W’burg, you could have pooled a random group of attendees and found that each person was wearing either a) a flannel shirt, b) skinny jeans, c) plastic frame glasses, d) a beard, or e) some combination of the above. It was funny, and also comforting. Because I knew I could hold my own if any sort of fight broke out.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Hipsters, you know I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment